Why Left of Boom?
“Left of Boom” is a common military phrase used to describe the timeline of events before an explosion or incident – a period when you still have a chance to prepare and avert a crisis. When faced with a crisis, staying “Left of Boom” means making proactive decisions, staying ahead of the evolving situation and leading confidently and with purpose.
Grant Chisnall is the CEO and Founder of Left of Boom. He specialises in Crisis Preparedness and Response, is the Author of the book, Boom or Bust,
Survive and Thrive During Crisis and Producer of the Podcast, Crisis Talks.
Grant has a passion for leadership, communication and decision-making
and he has supported some of the world’s leading organisations through
crisis events ranging from cyber attacks to coronavirus; activism to air crashes; and from Natural disasters to workplace fatalities.
Since 2020 alone, he has supported 11 separate crisis responses to Bushfires, Coronavirus, Cyber attacks, Cyclone Harold, a Major IT outage, product recall, civil unrest and natural disasters.
Grant’s book Boom or Bust – Survive and Thrive During Crisis codies his approach to preparing and responding to crises and articulates how leaders can prepare themselves and their teams son they can respond proactively and with confidence when crisis strikes.
His Podcast, Crisis Talks tells the extraordinary stories of people who have led through crises and their stories of leadership and resilience in the face of adversity. His aim is to help leaders prepare for the worst-case scenarios and respond proactively and with confidence to any incidents that threaten their people, operations or reputation.
Grant uses his expertise in risk and crisis management to advise business on how to integrate their different preventative and preparedness arrangements, and then he delivers engaging and realistic training that empowers leaders to predict, pre-empt, detect and respond to emerging threats with confidence.
Grant specialises in:
- Crisis Management
- Risk and Business Continuity Management
- Stakeholder Engagement
His success stories include:
- Crisis Advisor for a Product Recall affecting Weatherbeeta and their
- manufacturing group.
- Crisis Advisor to Tower Insurance for events such as Tropical Cyclone Harold and the Solomon Islands civil unrest
- Led Toll Group’s Critical Incident Management and Business Continuity Program, and responded as the Crisis Advisor to their Global Leadership Team and Corporate Response Team during the response to two global cyber attacks and COVID responses.
- Activated as a Crisis Advisor to DA Crisis Management Team in support of a major IT outage.
- Developed Armaguard’s Crisis Response including reviewing their plans, facilitating training for their executive leadership team and facilitating a desktop exercise to validate their plans and training.
- Crisis Advisor to Sundance’s Board and Crisis Management Team during the Air Crash in 2010
- Developed and delivered Resilience frameworks and assurance programs across a number of multi-national telecommunications, investment and banking, logistics, national institutions and mining organisations. Brands include Woodside, Linfox, SouthEast Queensland Water Grid, AGL, BHP, Toll and Rio Tinto
- Developed and delivered integrated resilience frameworks and crisis exercises for critical infrastructure owners and operators including multi-agency and inter-departmental exercises covering Part 6 and Part 7a requirements inVictoria, and relevant jurisdictional arrangements across Australia for the National Gas Emergency Response Committee and Energy Security Working Groups.
- Crisis Advisor to a number of Schools and Mining, Logistics, Infrastructure businesses managing security incidents, responding to workplace fatalities, industrial disputes and activist threats.
- Crisis Management Team Leader for the Queensland Floods supporting a number of BHP Billiton clients affected in Brisbane and Central Queensland.
- Mine site and corporate disaster management and advisory support to Rio Tinto Coal sites and operations during the 2008 Floods.
What we can do for you
We prepare leaders for dealing with any situations that may threaten their people, operations or reputation. We use our experience advising Executive Teams and Boards in risk and crisis management to deliver realistic training and pragmatic advice that empowers leaders to proactively prevent and respond to emerging threats with confidence.